Help shape Kube's user interface!

• Starting soon (~1 month) we will begin use-testing Kube, the exciting new Kolab (and beyond!) client for the desktop and mobile we have been working on. You can see the roadmap we set our for ourselves at the beginning of the year here: https://cmollekopf.wordpress.com/2016/01/23/the-year-of-kube/ .. and we've been making excellent progress.

It is time to start testing parts of the UI with people other than our little clique, so that we can validate the design and prevent us from going down blind allies. Testing will be easiest on Linux, but you can run that Linux in a VM if you are on Windows/MacOS (and don't worry: when Kube gets closer to final release, there will be native builds for those platforms...).

If you are interested in helping us gather data on how specific parts of the UI stack up by running through test scripts (by yourself, or with friends/colleagues) please send me a message here on the Hub or via email (seigo at kolabsystems.com) and I'll get you hooked into the test flow. We'll be testing things like the outbox UI, the mail editor, and much more over time.

Below are screenshots from today ... still early days as you can see, but progress progress progress .. one step at a time. Let's make this awesome together :)\

Kube mail UI, July 2016

Kube email editor, July 2016

• @aseigo I'd be interested in helping out :computer:

Currently running KDE Neon User Edition, FWIW.

• Kobe looks like it will be awesome though it would be really good to see it fix some of the things that are annoying about Kontact @aseigo

1. Kontact by default has local folders and these can't be hidden even with an IMAP account hooked up

2. Difficult to map folders such as Sent, Trash, etc. Even with an IMAP account hooked up, I found these all being placed in the local folders - this takes me back to POP3 days - surely we don't want to go there. Kube should respect RFC 6154 (Special-Use).

• @haidersmith said in Help shape Kube's user interface!:

Kobe looks like it will be awesome though it would be really good to see it fix some of the things that are annoying about Kontact @aseigo

1. Kontact by default has local folders and these can't be hidden even with an IMAP account hooked up

2. Difficult to map folders such as Sent, Trash, etc. Even with an IMAP account hooked up, I found these all being placed in the local folders - this takes me back to POP3 days - surely we don't want to go there. Kube should respect RFC 6154 (Special-Use).

These are the sorts of reasons we are working on Kube. Improving these areas of Kontact are near impossible due to how certain assumptions are baked in. Yes, everything is possible, but the amount of work and the risk that incurs on the rest of the code base is just too high.

Don't work .. in Kube there will be no mandatory local folders, and utility folders are being handled automatically to avoid syndromes like "I have to re-associate the correct Trash and Sent folders with my account every few months because Akonadi/Kontact loses track of them..".

We've done years of work on Kontact to make it smoother, and we've made huge strides there, but there is a very difficult, very strong set of limits within that code base... so we're taking the best bits of code from KDE PIM and building something on it that avoids such issues.

In that sense, you can think of Kube as the thing fixing the annoyances in Kontact.

• This is certainly great news to hear @aseigo

Currently my main use for Kontact is at work:- set up with my Kolab Now account, as I use a Windows desktop at work. I certainly prefer Kontact to Outlook and it is nice to have a separate mail client to my work one, and to think that it will be improved is just amazing.

Will Kube supporting CalDAV/CardDAV, and will this be the primary way of connecting to Kolab? I understand that Kontact views all groupware data in IMAP, and perhaps it makes sense to have an IMAP account which can store all data for simplicity purposes in Kube? Even more exciting is that Kube may be supporting JMAP - this is great and should eventually kill off proprietary crap like activesync (particularly on mobile devices, where it has many restrictions, like not syncing drafts etc)

At home I have a Mac desktop as well as a Macbook for on the road/travelling, plus iOS devices where I use the native stock apps, all of which I'm pleased with.

• @aseigo sorry, to clarify, will CalDAV/CardDAV be the primary way of accessing Contacts and Calendar in Kube, with IMAP used for just mail, or will Kube continue to be Kolab-aware, and be able to support viewing all groupware data in IMAP?

As not overly technical, (and I'm not complaining) the advantages of having a single IMAP account which can store all data, except for the simplicity of setting up everything. Prior to using Kolab, which I love, I'd never heard of this concept of storing everything in IMAP.

Would it not be simpler for development and cost-effectiveif Kube simply did away with the ability to understand special Kolab IMAP, and just used IMAP for mail and CardDAV and CalDAV for contacts/calendars? I appreciate this is what you are trying to do by implementing JMAP, and this is awesome, and therefore makes Kube more useful to the world at large, particularly to those who don't necessarily use Kolab.