SMTP Error: [554] 5.7.1 <DATA>: Data command rejected: Sender access denied

• Hi

I've been running Kolab 16 on Centos 7 for a few months now having recent migrated from Zarafa groupware. I don't send may emails but receive a lot so it came as a bit of a surprise to find the sending emails was not working.

I'm getting sender access denied when trying to send messages within roundcube. I receive emails but sending just won't happen.

Postfix is reporting the following error:
    reject: DATA from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]: 554 5.7.1 <DATA>: Data command rejected: Sender access denied.

I can't identify why this would be happening. Nor do I know where to look. I have no frame of reference to see if somethings has changed in the config files or if a program has been updated.

Can someone point me in the right direction please

Many Thanks.

• The same thing happens when upgrading from 3.4 to 16. But I haven't gone much deep through the issue, instead I had downgraded back from 16 to 3.4.

• Global Moderator

It's about postfix not allowing the sender to send to the receiver - not being able to access ..something (Sorry if you already guessed that - not trying to be a smarta...).

Where do you get this message?

If you miss inspiration; I would start looking in /var/log/maillog and get a more full message. That might tell you what it IS the sender is not allowed to access. Then take a look through:
    /etc/postfix/main.cf
    /etc/postfix/ldap/local_recipient_maps.cf
    /etc/postfix/ldap/mydestination.cf

Those are fairly well documented inside, and you might be able to find why the user is not allowed to access that .. thing.

/Mads

• @wiktor Well your right, I did guess that and no need to apologize.

The thing is, I don't remember changing those settings. What I need is an example of a postfix cf files from a clean install so I can compare with what I have.

from maillog:

Aug 4 00:18:38 servername postfix/submission/smtpd[11605]: A578F4A238E8: client=localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1], sasl_method=LOGIN, sasl_username=xxx@yyy.zzz

Aug 4 00:18:38 servername postfix/submission/smtpd[11605]: A578F4A238E8: reject: DATA from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]: 554 5.7.1 <DATA>: Data command rejected: Sender access denied; from=xxx@yyy.zzz to=zzz@yyy.xxx proto=ESMTP helo=<www.yyy.zzz>

• Maybe I wasn't precise enough - I took a look on postfix files which you mentioned:
    /etc/postfix/main.cf
    /etc/postfix/ldap/local_recipient_maps.cf
    /etc/postfix/ldap/mydestination.cf

After upgrade they didn't changed. The same postfix configs works fine with ver. 3.4, with 16 don't. That's the reason why I'm not sure that this is only postfix problem...

• Same here after update. It work fine before update... at least I can send and receive email...
    However, I can't send to same domain user and come up the same error "Sender access denied".

@administrators Can you show me the way out?

• I had the same issue after upgrading from 3.4 to 16. The sender policy is not handled directly by postfix, but delegated to Kolab SMTP access policy instead (see postfix master file). The Python code enforcing the actual policy seems to be at /usr/libexec/postfix/kolab_smtp_access_policy, which has indeed changed.

I was able to quickfix the sending issue by replacing the kolab_smtp_access_policy file with the earlier version (from Kolab 3.4). Obviously, this could cause other issues, so give it a try at your own risk :) I created a bug report as well, perhaps someone with deeper knowledge about the policies could shed some light into this and provide a better solution.

• Kolabian

• it work normal now....
    thx for solution....

• @teemup said in SMTP Error: [554] 5.7.1 <DATA>: Data command rejected: Sender access denied:

I had the same issue after upgrading from 3.4 to 16. The sender policy is not handled directly by postfix, but delegated to Kolab SMTP access policy instead (see postfix master file). The Python code enforcing the actual policy seems to be at /usr/libexec/postfix/kolab_smtp_access_policy, which has indeed changed.

I was able to quickfix the sending issue by replacing the kolab_smtp_access_policy file with the earlier version (from Kolab 3.4). Obviously, this could cause other issues, so give it a try at your own risk :) I created a bug report as well, perhaps someone with deeper knowledge about the policies could shed some light into this and provide a better solution.

Solution with dropping table in database works.

root@host# mysql -u root -p
    Enter password:*******
    mysql> use kolab;
    Database changed
    mysql> DROP TABLE policy_result;
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.8 sec)

Think we can mark this thread as solved.

• I had the same problem and I'm very happy that I'm not the only one.

I just updated the whole system - there were plenty of kolab updates - and rebooted afterwards.
    The error was still there.
    So people still need to drop that table .. ( I thought maybe the update will fix it automatically)

Thanks for sharing the workaround!