Ever since we introduced our ideas the next version of akonadi, we’ve been working on a proof of concept implementation, but we haven’t talked a lot about it. I’d therefore like to give a short progress report.
By choosing decentralized storage and a key-value store as the underlying technology, we first need to prove that this approach can deliver the desired performance with all pieces of the infrastructure in place. I think we have mostly reached that milestone by now. The new architecture is very flexible and looks promising so far. We managed IMO quite well to keep the levels of abstraction to a necessary minimum, which results in a system that is easily adjusted as new problems need to be solved and feels very controllable from a developer perspective.
We’ve started off with implementing the full stack for a single resource and a single domain type. For this we developed a simple dummy-resource that currently has an in-memory hash map as backend, and can only store events. This is a sufficient first step, as turning that into the full solution is a matter of adding further flatbuffer schemas for other types and defining the relevant indexes necessary to query what we want to query. By only working on a single type we can first carve out the necessary interfaces and make sure that we make the effort required to add new types minimal and thus maximize code reuse.
The design we’re pursuing, as presented during the pim sprint, consists of: